Flight MH 370 Found: Malaysia Airlines Debris Confirmed To Be From Missing Plane

UPDATE, 2:25 p.m. EDT: Paris deputy prosecutor Serge Mackowiak said in a news conference that there is "very strong supposition that the flaperon found in Réunion belongs to MH370." He added that more analysis will continue on Thursday.
Deputy Paris Prosecutor explains how the Reunion Island debris was identified as being from missing Flight MH370 https://t.co/nhzVing9rq
— Sky News Tonight (@SkyNewsTonight) August 5, 2015
UPDATE, 2:15 p.m. EDT: Malaysia Airlines called the flaperon confirmation a "major breakthrough" in figuring out what happened to MH370. The company added it expected and hoped there will be "more objects found which would be able to help resolve this mystery."
Map showing #MH370 search update with ocean current drift zone, Inmarsat pings, surface searched area and new debris. pic.twitter.com/yIYjnZCBm1
— Jay Minden (@FlightSMS) July 30, 2015
The wing part was not the only piece of debris that Reunion Island residents have turned up. Since the flaperon's discovery, people have given authorities old shoes, scrap metal, a wallet, a tea kettle, a Frisbee and part of a ladder, according to previous International Business Times reporting. None of those have been conclusively linked to the plane.
UPDATE, 2:05 p.m. EDT: “It is with a very heavy heart that I must tell you that an international team of experts has conclusively confirmed that the aircraft debris found on Reunion Island is indeed from MH370,” Razak said in a news conference. "We now have physical evidence that, as I announced on 24th March last year, flight MH370 tragically ended in the southern Indian Ocean."
The flaperon was found on the island's beach last week and later transported to Toulouse, France, for analysis.
Malaysia Airlines released a statement sending condolences to the relatives and friends of the 239 people who were on board the plane when it went missing. "Family members of passengers and crew have already been informed and we extend our deepest sympathies to those affected," it read.
Original story: Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak has reportedly confirmed that debris found on the French Reunion Island belongs to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which disappeared in March 2014 without a trace.
PM @NajibRazak confirms that the debris from Réunion Island is indeed #MH370
— Patrick Lee (@patricklee_msia) August 5, 2015
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
© Copyright IBTimes 2024. All rights reserved.