Detroit Airport Northern Terminal Evacuated Because Of 'Suspicious Situation'

Update as of 7:37 p.m. EDT: The North Terminal at the Detroit Metropolitan Airport, which was evacuated earlier on Saturday after a man acted suspiciously, is returning to normal operations, according to reports.
The suspect was detained while authorities investigated the incident, a report added, citing an airport spokesman. The man, who was not identified, reportedly left his laptop at a ticketing desk and spoke in a way that "caused concern," according to MLive.
A partial evacuation of the terminal, which serves domestic flights, was ordered about 3 p.m. and services reportedly began returning to normal about 90 minutes later.
Original story:
Detroit Metro Airport has evacuated its north terminal due to a "suspicious situation" on Saturday afternoon, according to a report from Detroit's WXYZ-TV.
According to a number of users on Twitter, a male suspect may have made a bomb threat, though reports are unconfirmed. Photos on social media also showed a number of people outside the airport standing with luggage. A tweet was also posted by an account that the news site says belongs to the Detroit Airport.
An unconfirmed source on Twitter also said the suspect "arrived with a open laptop and approached several employees before making the threat."
The North Term. has been evacuated out of an abundance of caution to investigate a suspicious situation.
- DTW Airport (@DTWeetin) May 9, 2015
DTW evacuated due to suspicious situation via @wxyzdetroit http://t.co/1Or21Yadd2
— Jane Park (@janekjpark) May 9, 2015
So they made everyone evacuate the airport after arresting some guy. A possible bomb I guess. I might stay myself right here in Detroit.
- Gabbeth-Kaon Lee (@GaKaOtLe) May 9, 2015
There was just a bomb threat at DTW airport by a young white Caucasian male, DTW is being evacuated at this moment in time #detroit
- Crown Chaos (@CrownChaosTweet) May 9, 2015
This is a breaking news story.
© Copyright IBTimes 2024. All rights reserved.